21 May 2017

Spicy Carrot&Ginger soup

Sometimes I crave for something different, different flavours, colours and smells.

Today I looked to the available vegetables that weren't many, and decided to make a soup, but as I was really craving for different flavours I decided to add some dry spices that I tend to use to cook meat and in the end I even surprised myself with the amazing soup that I had just made.
Meanwhile I thought about Thai soups that are made with coconut milk so I divided the soup in two batches and in one I added coconut milk to see how it goes, and turned out pretty tasty and fulfilling because of the coconut milk.

If you like food that when you eat, you feel like an explosion of flavours in your  mouth, you really have to try this one. 

Ingredients:
  • 4 Tbsp of olive oil 
  • 1 tsp of ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp of curry powder
  • 1 tsp of ground ginger
  • 2 onions (red ones) 
  • 2 carrots 
  • 2 small zucchini or 1 medium 
  • 1 orange sweet potato 
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 4 cups of chicken stock (organic or made by yourself) 
  • salt 
  • black pepper 
  • 1/2 cup of coconut milk (optional) 
  • 2 Tbsp of lime juice (optional) 
  • Cilantro
Let's do it:
  • In a large pot add the olive oil and add the ground coriander, curry powder and ginger and cook for about 1 minute under low heat
  • Add the onions chopped, carrots, sweet potato and zucchini and stir to combine and cook for about 2-3 minutes 
  • Add the chicken stock (or 4 cups of water if you prefer) and bring to a boil. Increase the heat to medium and let it cook until the vegetables are smooth, around 40 minutes. Make sure that you add extra water during this period, as the water tends to dry out
  • When vegetables are smooth, season with salt and pepper and boil for more 5 minutes 
  • With a hand blender, blend the vegetables. At this point you can add water until you find the desired consistency

As it's not advisable to keep soup in the fridge with coconut milk, I separated the soup in two batches. In one I let it cool down and kept it in the fridge for a next meal, and on the other half batch, under low heat I added the 1/2 cup of coconut milk and the lime juice, stirring well until the coconut milk gets well mixed in the soup.
  • To serve pour the soup in bowls and add chopped fresh cilantro if you fancy
This soup was a success at our place. It is so tasty that I think that I will do it again for next week :) 



One of my favourite albums that I remember to listen quite often when  I was university was the "banana" album from Velvet Underground and Nico. This album made 50 years since it was released. The cover was made by Andy Warhol on the time of Pop Art movement. This album became a major influence and a  icon of the pop music on that time. 
I think I like every song form this album but today's choice is definitely this one...

Happy mood !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment