6 November 2016

Beef salad

After several years without eating red meat I recently started to eat beef. The reasons that made me stop eating meat were not related with fundamental animal rights but related with the fact that I really don't like the flavour of red meat. However I think that cattle production should be controlled under natural conditions, free range and keep it organic as much as possible, avoiding the super production, but this issue is too controversial and I don't want to develop it in here.

As I recently started to eat beef I had to find ways to eat disguising the taste, or with sauces or cooking it with herbs.

This salad was inspired in some Thai beef salads that I had in Muscat, although I changed it completely because I avoid spicy food and Thai food can be really super spicy.

One thing that I really like in this salad, is the presentation. As we say, the eyes also eat, and is always nice when we have a plate full of colour and with a different presentation. 



Ingredients for the beef preparation:
  • 6 beef steaks (thin ones)
  • 1 red onion
  • 2 red peppers
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • Fresh thyme 
  • Chilli (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 to 4 Tbsp of olive oil 
Ingredients for the salad preparation:
  • Red cabbage leaf (2) 
  • Lettuce
  • Avocado 
  • Pomegranate 
  • Tomatoes 
  • Sesame seeds
  • Balsamic Vinegar or Balsamic glaze
Let's do it:
  • Season the beef steaks with salt and pepper, fresh thyme and chopped garlic and chilli (optional) for about 10 minutes 
  • Meanwhile prepare the salad, chop all the vegetables (except the red cabbage leafs) to a bowl. Season only with balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze if you have and sprinkle some sesame seeds. Set it on the side
  • Prepare 2 red cabbage leafs and place them in plates 
  • In a pan pour the olive oil, the sliced onion and the sliced red peppers. Stir it well until the onion is smooth. 
  • Fry the beef steaks and as they should be thin, will not take more than 5 minutes to have them ready
  • Remove them and cut them in stripes 
  • Pour salad in each red cabbage leaf and cover with beef stripes, onion and red pepper. If you like chilli you can add some chilli sauce to the beef 



This is really easy to do and is a really nice idea when you have friends coming over for lunch or dinner. 

Just give it a go. You can do this salad with beef, chicken or with everything that you might prefer. 

Time of preparation:  15 minutes 
Quantity: It serves 2 

For today I leave you Lou Reed. He was definitely an amazing singer and writer. 
Is hard for me chose a song from Lou Reed or from Velvet Underground. For really long time Velvet Underground was one of my favourite bands. 
So because today is Sunday I decided to leave you two songs...oh my god so crazy...two songs! 




Enjoy life guys because life can be awesome despite all the winding roads that we go through :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment