23 November 2016

Coconut chocolate bars (Sugar free)


In Australia I discovered the famous Woman's weekly magazine. This magazine has loads of recipes, most of them I don't eat but they also have low carb and sugar free editions. Is the first time that I came across with magazines focused in a low carb, high fat, sugar free diet.

I found this recipe in one of the magazines and what makes me like it so much is that these bars are so similar to that chocolate "Bounty", but they are much better because they are sugar free and without almost any carbs.

Regarding to the dark chocolate I advise everything more than 70% dark chocolate.
I already made this recipe with a 70% dark chocolate and now I made it with a 99% dark chocolate and both turn out really well.
I found out that using this 99% chocolate you really need to like dark chocolate as it gets a bit bitter which is good in my opinion but on the other hand you don't feel the coconut flavour as with the 70%.
Honestly is up to you or you can do as me, the first time I tried with a 70% dark chocolate and now I tried with a darker one and I can see the difference and chose what is the one I  like most.


Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
  • 2 tsp of stevia
  • 2/3 of coconut cream 
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract 
  • 100 gr of dark chocolate bar (I used 99% sugar free chocolate from Vivani, that you might find in health food stores)
  • 50gr of butter 
Let's do it:
  • In a bowl combine shredded coconut, stevia, coconut cream and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Mix well.
  • With your hands divide the portion in small bars, squeezing the mixture with your fingers while making the bar.
  • Place the bars in a tray covered with parchment paper. Freeze for 1h30.
  • In a saucepan place the butter and chocolate in pieces and one tsp of vanilla extract. In slow heat mix well until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Allow the mixture to cool down for 10 minutes. 
  • Dip the bars, one at a time, into the chocolate mixture to evenly coat. Place them again in the tray and allow them to refrigerate for 45 minutes
  • Place them into a airtight container and you can keep them in the fridge up to 1 week...if they last until then :)
*Note* - Stevia comes from the leaf of a plant, so is promoted asa natural sweetener. Is is processed into a white powder that can be used in a similar way to sugar. It has a minimal effect on blood glucose levels.






Time of preparation: 30 minutes to prepare and 1h30 in the freezer
Quantity: 17 bars

Today I leave you Nina Simone.
There was a time that I was all the time listening Nina Simone and Aretha Franklin. I recently watched a documentary about Nina Simone and was really interesting how she faced and  supported all the anti-racism  and civil rights causes in the US on the 60's and 70' and how that behaviour damaged her career and her life. She was a special one...

I like especially this song that was about how the black community on that time, was a community without roots or background, somehow ashamed for being who they were. Nina Simone tried to bring to them value, soul and proud of being black.

Please listen the lyrics and see how beautiful they are when we understand the full meaning.




Be proud of who you are, of where you came from, proud of your roots.
We are unique and special as everybody in the world.
Religion, colour, country, borders, politics should not be allowed to change this.

Happy day to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment